Friday, December 19, 2008

Hannah

So, I know I'm not done with our Hawaii posts, but today is our eldest's birthday. I can hardly believe our little girl is 8! Hannah is such a blessing from the Lord.

God knew what He was doing. I was a young wife in a new place and I didn't know anybody. We were looking for a church, I had just left my family 8 hours away, and we only had Daniel's brother and sis-in-law close by. I needed "something" to fill my long, empty days and God knew just what would be the best thing. :)

So, just 10 months after our wedding, Hannah arrived. A little ball of perfection. :) She was such a beautiful, wonderful baby. She continues to amaze me. She is a creative, perfectionist and I have no idea where that came from. Definitely not me! When she puts her mind to something, she will do it and do it well. One of her favorite things is rescuing stuff from the trash and creating all sorts of things with it. She is a giver, too. She loves to make things and give them to her family and friends. The other day she made a card for Daniel which said, "I love you, and I love you, and I love you Daddy!" then she left it on his pillow. So sweet!

She also is our girly girl. She loves pretty or fancy things, especially jewelry. Sundays are special when I'll sometimes put shiny lip gloss on her. :) She was born with a little strut and has never lost it. She can strike a pose with the best of them and doesn't even realize she's doing it! :) Boy, she can make us smile and shake our heads.

There is so much I can share about her, but it's just not the same as really knowing her and her heart. She cares so much. When Daniel and I had to get new cell phones, (see Hawaii posts) she REALLY wanted our old broken ones. We told her she could have one or the phone people would fix it up and give it to a woman in trouble who can't afford one. (domestic abuse) I could tell she was feeling really conflicted about it. So, I told her it was absolutely OK for her to keep it. She decided that's what she wanted to do and we started to leave the store. Then she stopped and looked up at me with her big, innocent, blue eyes and said, "Mommy, I want to give it to those women in trouble. So, they can call someone if they need help." I asked her if she was sure and she said yes. So, we turned around and gave it to the Verizon folks. This contented look of "I'm glad I did a good thing" came over her. (You know what I'm talking about if you've ever seen it or experienced it.) I know it was a sacrifice for her. She has always wanted a cell phone, but she wanted to help a woman in need more. Those are the moments I praise God! He is alive and working in my little girl's life!! I am so thankful to Him.

So Happy 8th Birthday my Hannah girl!!

5 comments:

The Domestic Intellectual said...

Can't believe she is already 8! Where did the time go? I will try and call tonight to wish her a happy b-day. For some reason I thought it was yesterday and I had already missed it.

~the gambill gals~ said...

I can't believe that you are actually the mother 4 and that one is 8. How the time does fly. I love to read your blog and rejoice in how happy you are in your marriage and as a wife and mother. God is so good! Jaimie loves the pic's of your sweet children!

Littlecarlotta said...

Thanks for sharing about Hannah. Since we don't get to know your children in person, reading about them is the next best thing!

Aliza

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a sweetie! The cell phone story brought tears to my eyes! But, that sleeping picture looked VERY uncomfortable! Love you, Gen

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Hey, I just signed up for a google account, so I had to write to see how it comes up! Hope you're having a great time with your family! Love, Gen