Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day 1 & 2 - Flying, South Point, Green Sand Beach

Well, we woke up EARLY and got to the airport in plenty of time. Only to have our plane delayed for almost 2 hours. Something with a baggage door. So, we haven't even left Wichita yet, and boy are we ready to go! :)

Killing some time on the laptop. That's Daniel's brother Brian and wife Brenda with me. See our plane sitting there behind us?

Yeah, I don't look too impressed. "Please, let's just get this show on the road!" :)

Since our first flight was now off by 2 hours, of course we missed our connecting flight. So, they had to do some searching and find alternative routes. We were supposed to arrive in Kona, HI around 2pm, instead we made it about 8:30pm. Thus, missing our first cocktails and dinner together with the Speed Queen folks. :( Daniels' mom made a comment about me "jinxing" our trips. Remember the bag fiasco in London last year? Thanks, Mom! :)

Finally on our way! We ended up going from Wichita to Phoenix to San Francisco to Kona. Some of you know that I seem to have a twin out there somewhere. Well, when we landed in Phoenix, this guy sitting across the aisle from me (not Daniel :) said to me, "Whenever I travel with you, this always happens." I was just dumbfounded. I had no clue who he was!

Over Arizona somewhere, I think.

Beautiful sunset

At our hotel on the Big Island. We had a full day planned and soon found out that there just weren't enough hours in the day for all we wanted to do. We tried to just soak it all in and have fun!

We were staying on the desert side of the island. It was actually pretty barren. So much lava rock and some brown shrub things.

Brian and Brenda rented a Jeep so we could have 4WD for some of our adventures. :) We really enjoyed it!

Barren desert view with beautiful blue ocean

We did stop at Walmart to get a few things before we headed off to South Point, the southernmost point of the U.S. and a Green Sand Beach. It was pretty much like any other Walmart, but with swimsuits year round. :)

We thought this was interesting. Such a striking view of the black lava line and greenery.

You can clearly see the lava's path.

Just the beginning of the rough roads ahead.

Down at South Point the wind is so strong that the trees grow sideways. This was a farm we passed on the way.

We first stopped at Broken Road. They had built a concrete landing here to launch boats into the water, but it lasted less than a year and "broke" off. You can see me at the edge there.

Brian and Brenda on a cliff overlooking broken road. It was so beautiful and the water was a gorgeous, clear, deep blue color.

See? Beautiful view!

Daniel up on a cliff to take pictures. :)

Kissing on Broken Road

A little further down there were these boat hoists. Several people were fishing from there and it looks tempting to jump into the clear water, but there is a strong current that will take you out into the ocean. Not smart!

The water was SO clear and you could see about 30 feet down into the water. Just beautiful!

We got to the southernmost point and the waves were mesmerizing. We climbed all over the rocks and watched them for a long time. Here are some pics Daniel took of me on the rocks with the waves splashing around. I honestly didn't upload all our pics of this. :)

Whoa, it's cold!



On my way back towards Daniel I slipped and fell into the water. Oops. :)

Then I realize my cell phone was in my pocket! Double oops!! It was fried, Ugh.

Some cool wave pictures.





Brian on the rocks

I didn't post the pics of him flexing or doing tai chi out there. :)

From South Point we went to the only Green Sand Beach in Hawaii. The sand is an olive green color from a mineral called Olivine. It was about a 2 1/2 mile drive (with 4wd only) or you can walk. Here are a couple pictures of the jeep on the "road."

Good Jeep ad, huh?

I don't think we actually went down this one. It was a fun drive, but I think the seat belts bruised our shoulders. :)

We passed this on our way. Looks like a good use of the tree.

The green sand

A Comparison

My toes in the green sand.

Green Sand Beach - it was actually more like a little cove.

You had to climb down a somewhat steep sand hill to get down to the water.

Daniel and I

Brian having fun with the waves. They were quite strong. A couple times they about ripped my swimsuit right off me. Definitely gives you a healthy respect for nature!



These little crabs were all over the beach. They were hilarious to watch. They run sideways and boy are they quick. Daniel caught one so we could see it up close.

Daniel



Jumping off the rock. :)

We climbed up on the cliff by the beach. We got 1 bar on our cell phone, so made a few calls. Here are some pics of the view from up there. Just gorgeous!



Brian and Brenda

Daniel and me

Having fun with the sun.

We passed many of these trees. So interesting.

A beautiful sunset to finish off the day........


Obviously the pictures don't do any of it justice. It gave me such a renewed awe of God and His creation. So amazing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, great pics! Those sideways trees are something else. The crab looked adorable! So, did you say anything to the guy on the plane....like, "Who are you talking about?". That is the weirdest thing ever!!! I guess your twin does lots of traveling! :-) Hope your Thanksgiving was fabulous! Gen